Sunday, June 7, 2009

So Far So Good

I've been home now for nearly two weeks. My first visit to clinic at Westmead since I came home was last Wednesday. Dad was already in Sydney, so Mum and I drove down on Tuesday afternoon and we all stayed in one of the RMHW units. On the Wednesday morning, we all went over to pathology (we call it Fish Bowl, because the walls are all painted in a Finding Nemo theme) and had my bloods taken, and my finger pricked. Dad went off to his wool sale, and Mum and I stayed to see the doctor. This time we had Dr Ruchera who is one of the "fellows". She was the one I had most of the time when I was in the isolation room in Camperdown Ward. Anyway, she had some premliminary results for the biopsy I had done before I left (two weeks ago, tomorrow) which were very encouraging. There was no leukaemia detected in the test, and my blood counts are really on the move. My WCC is now 4.1, neutrophils are 3.1, platelets are 122 and haemoglobin (hb) is 99. The hb is the slowest to move, but the doctors are happy with it. I will have to have a bone marrow biopsy every three months for two years. So far, so good. I still have about another three months to go of this semi isolation I'm in. No crowds, no takeaway, no school, no sniffly visitors, and avoid chicken pox like they were swine flu. Lots of my friends have been immunised against chicken pox, so I need to stay clear of them for two weeks from when they had their needle. I'm still having trouble with eating very much, and twice since I've been home I've chucked up my NG tube. The first time I did it, we went up to the hospital here at Forbes and Doctor Draper put a new one in for me. The second time, which was only yesterday, Mum did it. Mum and Dad have seen it done that many times, they always said they could do it. So, Mum did. Good on ya Mum.
This week I have to go to Sydney on Tuesday morning to have a barium swallow. This is where I drink some flavoured (hopefully) barium and have an xray at the same time. This is to see if they can find a reason that I'm still feeling sick.

2 comments:

  1. hope everything went well on Tuesday in Sydney. Gaye & Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eliza
    It is good to see that they didn't detect any leukaemia and that your blood counts are on the move, sorry that the girl power team couldn't call you on Friday because in the room that we call you had a exam going on we are going to ring you next Friday to see how you are going. Well gtg I will see you soon

    From Molly
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete