Tuesday, May 5, 2009

6 Months On.....

Yesterday was 6 months since my diagnosis. I came to Westmead for some more blood tests, and didn't leave. My blood results are looking good now. Yesterday, my haemoglobin was 89, just hanging in there, but my platelets were 81, they've really jumped up. My WCC is 3.4 and my neutrophils are 2.2. They seem like little numbers, but they are big for me. Remember, the last chemo I had made all these numbers, zero. I'm back over 30 kg again too, and starting to eat a little more each day. The more I can eat, the sooner I can lose the NG tube. I have to be careful what I eat though. I can't have takeaway for at least six months. Nope, not at all. I can't have things with grain, like grainy bread, but that's ok, I prefer white bread (hey, I'm a kid). I can't have things like soft cheese, or yoghurt, I can't have salad unless it's made fresh by us, I can't have pizza, except frozen, or made by us fresh, I can't eat fruit that's bruised or over ripe, and the list goes on. I've just rediscoverd mandarins. They're yum. It shouldn't be for too long, but I just can't take the chance.

The doctors have said I can now go to twice weekly visits to clinic. This will be for probably two weeks. After that, they should tell me I can come in once a week. By then, I should be able to go home. That will be early June. I hope so. When I first started treatment, the nurses told Mum and Dad that we'd probably be here for about 7 months. June 3 would be 7 months. Isn't it weird how doctors and nurses know that stuff? I guess they've seen it before.

It's just been me and Mum here this week. Dad took Aimee and Georgia home on Sunday so they could get back to proper school. I wont be allowed back to school for a few months, and then it will only be half days. I'll have to do "distance education" or at least have my school work sent home.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you're doing so well Eliza!

    I bet you're looking forward to going home to Forbes.
    x Soph

    ReplyDelete