Wednesday, May 6, 2009

One Less Pill

Today (day 61 post BMT) I went to my Wednesday clinic and was given two pieces of news by Dr Peter Shaw that I have wanted to hear for ages. Firstly, he has told me I no longer need to take the Urseo tablet. Urseo is a drug that prevents clotting in major organs, but in particular, the liver. They usually don't stop this drug until day 80 post transplant, but because I haven't had any symptoms of this, and because he'd like to see my nausea go away, he thought one less medication might help. Suits me! Urseo was one a big fat one. The other thing he told me that made me smile was that he felt it unnecessary for to come in again until next week. Hopefully that will be the start of my once weekly visits, which will mean home is that much closer. Next week I am having another CT scan of my lung. This is because they want to check the place where I had the lung infection removed. The anti fungal drug I take, called Voraconizole, is at a lower than ideal level in my system, but before they change it up, Dr Shaw wants to check whether I need it at all. He is such a cool doctor this guy. He's really thorough, and leaves nothing to chance, and he really gives us a lot of confidence in him. With any luck, I might be able to stop taking another tablet next week. I'm sure one of these is what makes me feel chucky each day. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. hey great news about one less pill. We are sending a text hoping that we can ring you tomorrow lunch time. Our lunch time is 1.15 - 1.45 so well grab our lunch and then ring. Can you text Carly to say that time is perfect or we have recess at 11.05 to 11.25 whichever is good for you. We have our fingers crossed for you too. Dr Shaw sounds so cool. We are getting a webcam so that we can regularly log on and talk to you. Also you can email us on our school emails send one so we can check that we can get them.Izzy and Moo couldn't make it today because they had choir. Elly can join us when she gets back next Thursday. Gotta go Bells going to ring. Talk to you soon. love girl power xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    girl power overboard xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eliza,

    I have just spent about an hour reading all of your blogs. You are so brave and I'm really glad to hear that things are getting more and more positive each day.
    We are thinking of you and talking about you all the time at school. Teachers are always asking me how you are going and some of your teachers at Westmead were keeping me up to date on your treatment.
    Everyone is really looking forward to when you are able to join us at high school.

    All the best Eliza, keep getting stronger!

    Miss Forbes.

    ReplyDelete