Wednesday, April 22, 2009

47 Days Since Transplant. D Day. I'm OUT!!!!

I'm out. I've been D'ed. Discharged! Woooo Hoooo!!!!!!!!

Counts are: WCC 3.0. Neutrophils 1.2. Platelets 35. Haemoglobin 108. I can just hear you thinking, "Uh huh, ok, is that good?" Yesterday my platelets were only 25, and I haven't had a transfusion. I must be making my own! So, yep, it's good!!








Here I am with two of the Captain Starlights on D Day Morning.



The day started like every other day. Feeling a bit sick, bit of a chuck, swallow half a dozen pills, a little rest, some bloods taken, a visit from the doctor, and then, "Well Eliza, you can leave today." So after 171 days (10 days short of six months), 3 lots of chemotherapy & one bone marrow transplant, I have been discharged from the Camperdown Oncology Ward at the Childrens Hospital at Westmead. It feels good. Now I can stay at the RMHW Units with Mum & Dad, and visit the Oncology Clinic three days per week.

For me, being discharged does not mean I'm out of hospital without conditions. I need to remain in "isolation" to a degree. This means I am unable to stay at Ronald McDonald House itself because I cannot mix with a group of people, especially other children. You see, I just don't have any immunity to anything. All the immunisations I was given as a child, like measles, mumps, rubella, etc, etc, have all been lost. Over the next two years, I can be reimmunised for all these things. I cannot be immunised for chicken pox for two years, so that is why I have to limit my exposure to others. Even when I come home to Forbes, the doctors have advised that I limit my visitors to small groups, who are free of coughs and colds, and who are generally well, who are sure they don't have anything, and who wash their hands. I don't know how any of my own family will go if they catch a cold, I suppose they'll just have to move out until they're better. Hey there's an idea. I just figured out a way to get my own room!

So, even though I don't get to come home for a while yet, to get out of hospital is a big and very significant step for me.



Ready to roll (above), and Mum shows me the door (below)


Three of my guardian angels on D Day, Mel, Nicole & Debbie.








With Captain Powers in the now infamous"Girafeeta"pose


















Out of the ward........& out the door.

4 comments:

  1. Eliza,

    This is great news! I only found out about your blog yesterday and spent the entire evening reading from the beginning.
    (Someone else commented on the upcoming City to Surf and that reminded me that I promised Rowan that I would walk in it - Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... don't remind Rowan or I may have to dust off my walking shoes - I have been a bit lazy lately.)
    Sorry that I am being a bit long-winded but I am not fluent in texting or compu-speak.
    Emily and Kailey have been throwing up and having high temperatures over the last few days in sympathy of what you have been going through (or maybe they just have gastro). It goes without saying how difficult this has all been for someone of your tender age. Speaking as a mother, even when it's just gastro, it is difficult to watch your children go through any kind of pain so I know how difficult this has been for Rowan and Suzanne, but I can see from your writing that you have been just as great a support to them as they have been to you with the way that you have been meeting the challenge. Your understanding of everything and the way you have explained and described everything on your blog is incredible – you certainly have a way with words. Keep up the good work. I know that everything will get better from here as you now have a (home-away-from-)home ground advantage.
    Hugs and kisses to all – give an extra big hug from me to Suzanne as I know that she is probably only now starting to breath a little easier, and to Aimee for her brave and selfless act.

    P.S. Remind me never to accept a muffin from you as I could not be sure what kind of drugs you might have put in them. They did look good though.

    Lots of love from Janelle, Raymond, Emily and Kailey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, Craig, Jake, CodyApril 22, 2009 at 11:41 PM

    Well done, sooo happy to read the good news. Mum, Dad & the Gang must be so very proud of you, I know there are a few thousand people back here that are...Dad was right I recall one of your first blog entries explaining the goodies and the badies and your team was over flowing with the goodies. Stay strong we are on your team hope to see you soon with love Karen, Craig, Jake & Cody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news Eliza.

    Finally to leave the hospital. That is so exciting.

    Love to all
    From the Bergers

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great news!!! You must be so excited as you are another step closer to being home, you always said you were on the winning team and you have proved how much of a fighter you are, it is just such a great achievement, keep that team going and hope to see you soon.love Marcus, Jodie, Nicholas, Chloe and Tom

    ReplyDelete