Thursday, April 2, 2009

Graft versus Host Disease (GvHD)


Today my blood counts basically remained unchanged. White cells were 1.2, and Neutrophils were 0.3. That's pleasing. I have been having some little episodes of nausea, for no apparent reason, although it does seem to come on after they give me the Ondansatron, a drug to stop you feeling sick. Huh??

I also now have a rash on my back and a little bit on my front. The doctors ALL came in together this morning to have a look at my new rash, which had actually been coming on for a couple of days. The head doctor, Dr Melissa, decided that this was in fact a mild symptom of graft versus host disease, or GvHD. This is a symptom of my new immune system rejecting me. Yes, that's right, me. If you have an organ transplant, such as a liver or kidney, your body will try to reject it because your immune system sees it as a foreign body. For me though, my immune system, which is new, sees the rest of my body as foreign. One of the side effects can be GvHD. For a leukaemia patient, a little of this is a good thing, because it also creates a host versus leukaemia effect, and my new immune system will fight any bad cells that try to come back. A lot of GvHD can make you really sick, and too much can have dire consequences. The fact that my donor and I had high compatibility, should hopefully keep the GvHD to a minimum.
This picture is how my television sees me!

3 comments:

  1. yessss...it finally let me make a comment!!! Hope your feeling good today! And the silly rash is going away...hehe rhymes
    I'll see you tmrw:-) love love love you
    Kristen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss eliza woods....You have to be one of the most amazing young people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Reading your story is just amazing. You are a very talented, clever, funny and strong young lady. I think about you every day. i have a photo of you on the fridge at the pub, just to keep us all grounded. Good luck with your next lot of blood tests. Keep smiling. Love Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liza
    I hope you are alright and also i hope the rash doesn't get bigger.
    Miss you heaps<3
    Carlyxo

    ReplyDelete